I admit, I’m one who’s always gotten super nervous and awkward when someone is taking a picture of me. I’m okay when it comes to group pictures or having my picture taken when I’m busy doing something (usually looking super intense while focusing on a makeup), but when it comes to just me in front of the camera… I don’t know what to do with me face. Where do I look? Do I smile? Do I do something with my hands? Usually I end up with a slightly elvis-like curled lip or a blank stare that looks like I’m going to rob the place. Props to you models, taking great pictures is really an art!
As a make-up artist I’ve always been behind the scenes but with the start of this blog of mine, I’ve been having to get used to having my picture taken. Through some unsuccessful shoots I am learning how I can get pics that I’m happy with to share and that grasp the nature of my blog. Here are some things that are helping me…
- Having someone that you’re comfortable with taking your picture. At first having my picture taken by Gideon (my bf) didn’t work. For some reason it still made me nervous, but letting my guard down and realizing Gid has seen me at my best and worst has, led to better photo sessions with him! (Instahusband!?)The pictures in this set were taken by my friend Lucinda. She is a friend I trust and can be myself around so I can get some great casual photos of me being me!
- Stop trying to be perfect and just let it happen. I’m a perfectionist and I kept over-thinking things which showed in my pictures. I’m learning to not care so much which is allowing more natural pics!
- Being you, being authentic, and stop comparing yourself to others (exceptions if you’re channeling a specific character)! There are so many great pictures out there but trying to exactly mimic a picture I found on Insta just kept leading to disappointment… it’s kinda like when someone brings me a picture of a make-up but their eye shape is totally different and the person in the pic is super edited!
- Having inspiration pictures or boards. Okay so I said not to compare yourself to others above, but being inspired is totally different and beneficial! Check out my pinterest boad here.
- Laugh and have fun! I get the best pictures when I’m happy and loving what I’m doing! Bye bye stank face!
I’m improving and definitely still learning! You should see me trying to do a video! haha let’s just say I’m still working on that one!
I’d love to know what works for you to take good pics! Or do you have pointers for me to make a great video?!
Bye for now!