Well I’ve been having a productive Sunday morning! Up early to the gym and then a nice long refreshing walk with Riah (my pup). After all this activity I got motivated to bake some yummy scones suited perfectly for a Sunday brunch. And now the house smells like grandma’s baking, amazing!
These aren’t your typical scones full of butter and white refined sugars and flour. These scrumptious things have antioxidant rich blueberries, raw local honey, and minimally processed gluten free flours. I don’t know about you but I adore guilt free baking made of real natural ingredients!
Blueberry Lemon Scones (gluten free, makes 8)
2 cups almond flour (I used Bob’s Red Mill)
3 Tbsp coconut flour
3 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
1/4 cup honey*, melted
1 large egg
3 Tbsp unsweetened almond milk
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp lemon zest
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/2 cup blueberries (if using frozen, defrost)
1. Preheat oven to 350 °F. Sift almond and coconut flours into medium sized mixing bowl.
2. Melt honey and coconut oil and add to flour. Add in egg, almond milk, baking soda, lemon zest, and salt, and mix all ingredients.
3. Gently fold in blueberries. If you are using frozen you may need to add in more flour to get dough consistency.
4. Form dough into 8 balls and place on baking sheet prepared with parchment paper. Slightly press down on each ball so scones are 1 1/2 to 2″ thick.
5. Bake in the centre of the oven for approximately 20 min or until golden on the outside.
Either enjoy after slightly cooled or store in airtight container. These also freeze really well!
*You can use an alternative sweetener. I’d like to know your outcomes with maple or agave syrup!
Have a beautiful rest of your weekend!