Hello Monday! Today is actually a slower day for me…kinda, but definitely slower than what my Tuesday to Saturday is going to be this week. To start it off, today is my puppy’s 1 year birthday!
Do you remember what your favourite birthday meal was? You know that one you’d get to request for when all your friends came over for your b-day party? Mine was spaghetti and meat sauce (obviously a lot different than what it would be now), but a common one among my friends was pizza. I actually didn’t eat pizza as a kid – I had an occasion when I had the flu and ate pizza…yah wouldn’t eat pizza for years!
I still don’t eat much pizza (except in Europe, I ate a lot of Margarita there!). But when I got this zucchini from a friend’s farm that is as big as my thigh, all I could think about was pizza. Weird. So here it is. I made a zucchini crust for a healthy vegetarian and gluten free option. I guess I will be eating pizza for Riah’s birthday, she will be eating a bone.
I’ve made cauliflower crust pizza, but I have to say I think I enjoy the zucchini better. The zucchini crust actually held together better for me where I could actually pick a slice up with my hand. This pizza was super tasty, made lots of left overs, is lower calorie and lower carbs (if that matters to you), and full of nutrient dense vegetables that promote health from the inside out. Bye bye pizza face! (did anyone get called that as a kid? I did, so mean)Now I’m going to spoil my pup with treats, enjoy!
Garden Fresh Zucchini Crust Pizza
gluten free, vegan option, vegetarian, low carb
For the Crust:
2 large zucchinis, rinse and shredded
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp sea saltpinch of red pepper flakes
2 eggs (use flax or chia eggs if vegan)
handful of vegan shredded mozza cheese
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1 tsp dried oregano
1/3 cup almond meal (I use Bob’s Red Mill Almond Flour)
optional 1-2 coconut flour if your mixture is too runny
Preheat oven to 450°F
1. Shred the zucchini with peel on. Place into bowl and microwave for one minute, or lightly steam. Place zucchini into a cheesecloth or colander covered with paper towel. Lightly sprinkle with sea salt and squeeze as much water out of the zucchini as you can.
2. Place zucchini in a medium sized bowl and mix with the rest of the ingredients.
3. Prepare a large baking sheet with parchment paper. This is very important to use parchment paper so the crust does not stick (I’ve tried without, it doesn’t work). Separate the mixture into two, and make two round “crusts.” Make them think but even.
4. Bake the crusts in the heated oven for about 12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and top with your choice of pizza toppings (sauce, pre-cooked veg, arugula etc), place back in oven and turn to broil. Watch carefully to ensure it doesn’t burn. You may only need to broil for a couple minutes depending on your toppings!
5. Remove from oven. Let sit for a minute before slicing, and enjoy!
The toppings I used:
1 roma tomato, sliced and roasted
1 tomatillo, sliced and roasted
1 sweet bell red pepper, sliced and roasted
5 baby eggplants, sliced and roasted
Pizza sauce (recipe here)
Have a beautiful week!